Naming Ceremonies or a Naming Day are known as a beautiful alternative to a Christening, however there are many reasons why people choose to have a Naming Ceremony.
- To celebrate the arrival of a baby and to welcome them into the family.
- A change of gender is becoming a popular reason for an adult to have a Naming Ceremony.
- After a divorce has happened and the person has changed their name.
- Naming Ceremonies can happen during an Adoption Ceremony (See Adoption page).
- Change of Faith, is also a reason for people having a Naming Ceremony.
These are just a few reasons why people have Naming Ceremonies.
There isn't a template or any rules, so your naming day or ceremony can be anything you want to it to be, however most people include:
- A story about the name
- Why they are having a ceremony
- Introduce any parents, siblings, grandparents and any supports (often known as God Parents in religious ceremonies).
- Vows or promises are read.
- Any readings, poems and music.
As a Naming Celebrant I am not restricted by any rules, unlike religious or humanist ceremonies.
Adoption Ceremonies are a perfect way to welcome a child into your family.
Some people include parts of a Naming Ceremony if the child is changing first names and family name.
As with all of the ceremonies I do, I am not restricted by any rules, so each ceremony can be just the way YOU want it to be.
Adoption Ceremonies often help children to feel special and wanted for the first time in their lives as they are part of a family and have a group of people who will support and protect them in their lives.
This depends on you and what you want to happen.
As an Adoption Celebrant I am not restricted by any rules, so your Adoption Ceremony can be exactly how YOU want it to be.
Most ceremonies include an Introduction of the child, parents, siblings, grandparents and supporters, followed by Vows or Promises, then Poems, Readings or Music. Often families choose a Symbolic Element such as Sand Pouring, Candle Lighting and Hand Fasting, all of which I can give advice on plus many other options.